Spreading Myself Too Thin
A few days ago I had to go and give blood for the sake of my endocrinologist. I had gone to an appointment with him the week previous, which included bloodwork, but some numbers related to my calcium levels were not good, so he sent me back for another bloodletting to make certain that there wasn't a problem with my thyroid (or whatever else calcium levels affect?). The second test provided normal numbers, so it's assumed that the original numbers involved a lab error of some type. It's a safe assumption because my calcium levels have always been normal. They had to tap into the same vein in my arm as the previous week because it's pretty much the only vein that accommodates the insertion of needles in any practical location on my body. I was told soon after the accident that my veins have become thin. No one can explain to me why in relation to my accident injuries, but it remains an issue nonetheless. More's the pity, right?
The thing about this vein situation, if I may call it such, is that I used to have great veins before the motorcycle accident. I took various shots, I had blood drawn, I had an IV inserted once or twice, and I donated blood freely. No biggie. But now, not so much.
I have had trouble with needles being inserted into my veins for various procedures since the accident. When I mentioned to the nurse who was taking my blood that I had problems over the years specifically with donating blood for various reasons including thin veins, she immediately said to me in a very matter-of-fact way that I should never even consider donating blood again in the future. She mentioned the larger gauge of the needles used for blood donation, and told me that my veins are far too small for those needles to be used safely within me. My thin veins were a problem for me the last time that I donated blood, so I knew that this nurse was not being overly dramatic about this issue with me. She told me that the chance was greater for damage being done to my veins, and she said that I really didn't want to have to deal with a damaged vein. I don't know exactly what that means, but I don't really want the details.Sooo, I guess I'll give up on my attempts to donate blood in the future. I've written several times on this blog concerning why donating blood is so important to me, but a dead guy can't donate anything, unless you count inheritance money.


Comments
Post a Comment